Thursday, October 1, 2020

How to Add Reflective Tape to Kids' Coats and Jackets

When it comes to children's clothing, there are a few things I just don't understand. Like why aren't double knees mandatory in jeans for children under 6? Even if it's popular, whose great idea was it to make skinny jeans for toddlers? And finally, why are reflectors not mandatory on all jackets and coats for children? They are a must so that cars can see your children with enough time to stop.

Soon will come the days when I pick my children up from school in the dark. So once again, I had to go online and buy a roll of reflective tape and no-iron bonding tape. This time I bought a large roll (a few yards) as I realized that none of my kid's jackets had reflecting bits on the back and I didn't want to have to buy more again next year.

How to Add Reflective Tape

If you want to add reflectors to your children's coats, it's not difficult.  All you need to do is cut a piece of reflective tape. Then stick the double-sided bonding tape on all the edges, peel off the other side and stick to your coat. I wash my coats quite often and so far washing has never caused the reflectors to come off (Children picking at the edges with fingernails is a different story).

Do not buy the iron-on reflectors or the iron-on bonding tape. Most jackets are synthetic and cannot take the heat needed to correctly adhere the tape. Your reflectors will peel off. 

I don't know if anyone will be trick-or-treating this year, but if you are out and about with little ones, stay safe. 

An Elf Erased My Picture
Update: 11/2022

Of all the posts I've made, from my favorite DIYs to recipes, this post has been clicked on the most. I guess, I'm not alone. By the way, if you are new to my blog, please make sure you also hop over to my website KelleyDonner.com where you can find all of my children's books. I just released An Elf Erased My Picture this month and it's a great stocking stuffer. https://www.kelleydonner.com/an-elf-erased-my-picture. Thanks for your support!

1 comment:

Warhammer39999 said...

Trying to find the right tape to make this work. I’m worried about sew on for kids winter jackets as it’ll ruin the water proofing. You suggest we don’t do iron on. Do you have a link to where I can get this?