Monday, April 29, 2019

Oak Tree Mural



Goodbye drab grey stairwell!
Hello sunshine!

This past week I got the opportunity to do a huge mural of an oak tree in the stairwell at Oaks International School in Cambridge, UK. Lately, I have been spending most of my time either cutting out linocuts or sitting in front of Photoshop on the computer, so I loved being able to get out and get my hands dirty.

I decided to use a technique for the oak tree that I used on a previous mural using painters tape to mark off the lines.  I think this makes the image look as if it has actually been cut out, like the linocuts that I so love to make. I also used wallpaper to make leaves in order to give the tree a bit of texture. Here are the steps that I used in order to plan, create, and finish this gigantic tree:

1.   First, I needed to plan my design. I took a lot of photos of oak trees and branches and some pictures of the stairwell on my phone and then used a basic drawing program on my Ipad to draw a few ideas over the picture. This also gave me the possibility to show my idea to the school for approval before I got started.

2.   Then, I bought all of the necessary materials and got to work. I used string and a bit of tape to layout my tree design onto the wall. This way, I had the possibility to lift a branch higher or lower with ease. As this stairway turns twice on its way up, it was important to see how the actual tree would look on the actual wall instead of just on my Ipad.

3.   Once I was happy with the design I began taping the branches and accents. I used the most expensive blue painters tape for fine edges because it makes a huge difference in comparison to cheap masking tape. Even with the best tape, there will always be some places where the paint comes off the wall, but there is nothing worse than having most of the paint come off with the tape. Blue painters tape is also easy to use.


4.   With my tree all taped, I began the first round of painting. Before I put a paintbrush on the wall, I went around with my finger on all of the edges and made sure that they were down. This is very important, because otherwise paint will leak through the little bubbles on the side and look tacky. If you are really concerned about leakage, you can always paint the sides of the image with the background color once before you add your top coat. Any leakage will then be in your background color. Nevertheless, if you are good about making sure your edges are taped well, this is not necessary. Because my brown was not very opaque, I actually had to paint the tree twice. 

5.   After painting the tree, I added some accents for fun. I put an owl in the tree, a birdhouse on a branch, and some birds in the air. I actually had to stop myself from not adding more, as I realized my project would quickly get out of hand and never finished.

6.   Finally, it was time for the leaves. I bought some inexpensive paintable textured wallpaper and rolled out a few sheets onto the floor. I then painted these green. Once it had dried, I made my own stencils and cut out oak leaves in various shapes and sizes. I used basic wallpaper paste to then glue them onto the wall.

Eventually, the school would like to add words at different places throughout the tree with the core vales of the school, such as happiness, aspiration, and community.

The best part of the entire project was listening to the children as they passed by in the halls. They loved seeing the process and they were so encouraging. Seeing so many children happy with the result made it definitely worth the effort. I was very pleased with the result, because it looks, like I had hoped, as if it was printed on the wall. I look forward to doing another mural like this in the future.

The Oaks International School tree mural is also listed under current projects on my website: kelleydonner.com.




1 comment:

Jen Carter said...

That turned out so great! Wonderful job and something the kids and staff can appreciate for years to come! You are so talented!